Bible Study / John 5.1-15 Healing at the Pool - read the passage here
- Every miracle of Jesus is amazing..
- This one made us even more struck with wonder.
The Healing Pool
- God had provided a healing pool at at Jerusalem.
- (The "gentle flowing waters of Shiloah" - Isaiah 8:6?)
- Verse 4 was apparently not in the original text.
- It seems to have been added to provide explanation.
- But the rest of the passage supports the view that the pool had healing qualities.
- We were also struck that this invalid man had been waiting 38 years (v.5).
- As a person most in need, Jesus graciously healed him.
- Jesus later tells him "Stop sinning or something worse may happen to you (v.14)."
- So the sickness was brought about by sin and he he was still so inclined.
- (Deut. 2:14 speaks of the Israelite's being in the desert for 38 years!)
- In our prayers we acknowledged that we may wait a long time for healing.
Motives of the Healed Man
- Jesus did not say to keep his healing quiet.
- But he immediately informed the Jewish authorities of Jesus' identity.
- Was this man knowingly committing an evil deed as some assert?
- Matthew Henry argues that we cannot make that assertion.
- In Acts 3:8 the healed lame man went walking and jumping in the Temple!
- It caused controversy with the Jewish authorities.
- Yet it was used for demonstrating God's glory.
- So also here as we will see next week.
- Indeed, Jesus commanded the invalid man to arise, pick up his mat and walk.
- Picking up his mat (on the Sabbath) was bound to cause controversy!